A huge thank you to all UC Davis' volunteers! The time, effort and talent you contribute to our university is extraordinary! The organizations you volunteer for rely on your expertise, and the diverse community you create plays a fundamental role in developing and supporting pathways between campus and community life.
Why we created guidelines for volunteers
We are fortunate to have robust volunteer programs throughout our university. To support these programs and to help create an atmosphere where community volunteers, as well as the departments that offer the programs, feel comfortable resuming their activities, we updated our COVID-19 guidance specifically for this important group.
These volunteer guidelines are for members of the general public whose work on behalf of the university brings them in contact with other people. These guidelines are not those who are already affiliated with the university in other ways, for example volunteers who are also students, faculty or staff members.
- Learn more about how our campus defines volunteers.
- Volunteer appointments without salary are utilized when an individual volunteers assistance or services directly and under the supervision of the university without promise or expectation of compensation. Read more.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Beginning September 8, 2021, UC Davis volunteers must show proof of vaccination to the departments with whom they volunteer. The vaccination card must show that it has been at least two weeks since their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine or the second dose of the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine.
- Acceptable forms of proof include:
- An original Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination card, or a translated international vaccine record.
- Photocopy of the card
- Photo of the card on a mobile device
- Digital COVID-19 vaccination record from the State of California with a QR code. (Applicable if you received your vaccination in the State of California. Learn more.)
- Vaccination records will not be retained, however the department may choose to keep a checklist of a volunteer's status in compliance with campus policy.
- Self-attestation is not an option.
- Beginning September 8, 2021, unvaccinated volunteers must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of their service date. If volunteer service occurs on a weekly basis, providing proof of a negative COVID-19 test at least every four days is acceptable. Members of the general public may participate in the testing offered by the Healthy Davis Together program.
- If working outdoors, unvaccinated people must wear face coverings in crowded spaces.
- All volunteers must follow the same set of personal protection practices required for students, staff, academics and others.
- Volunteers are required to complete the Visitor Daily Symptom Survey prior to entering facilities on campus.
- Face coverings are required indoors for everyone, regardless of vaccination status. Unvaccinated people must also wear face coverings outdoors in crowded spaces. Find more details about when and where face coverings are required, regardless of vaccination status.
- Volunteers that do not meet these guidelines will be asked to leave.