Now scheduling COVID-19 vaccinations for employees working on campus. Details

Frequently Asked Questions for Students

We will update this page and our responses as we receive more questions, and as we receive guidance from Yolo County and the State of California. Because health guidelines are being updated on an almost daily basis, please check this FAQ regularly to see if answers to your questions have changed.

Housing and Dining

If the numbers of COVID-19 cases increase, will campus suspend operations again? If operations are suspended, what happens to students living on campus? Will they be able to stay?

If the campus is ordered by public health officials for any reason to further reduce occupancy in our housing facilities, Student Housing will work to house any students that do not have alternative housing available to them, while staying in compliance with any mandates laid out by campus, county or state health officials.

Last updated:

Will parents be allowed to come pick up their students in residence halls if they become ill with COVID-19?

If a UC Davis student is quarantined or isolated, they must remain within their rooms for the duration of the quarantine or isolation in compliance with state and county public health guidance. The campus will provide isolation rooms and food services for students living in on-campus housing. One of the purposes of the quarantine or isolation is to prevent any potential, further spread of COVID-19. This guidance may change based on guidance from county and state quarantine and isolation mandates.

Last updated:

If housing is not guaranteed, will I get my deposit back?

Because many students rely on us for their housing and meals every year, Student Housing and Dining Services is committed to being open this fall.

However, if campus receives public health guidance to reduce housing density for fall quarter due to COVID-19, we may have to work with students to cancel their housing contracts. Students who choose to or are asked to cancel their contracts will have their reservation fee credited to their student account. If needed, additional details on the cancellation process will be provided. Contract cancellations, except when mandated by public health guidance related to COVID-19, are subject to the contract cancelation policy outlined in the housing contract.

Student Housing and Dining Services sent students with a Residence Hall Contract an email on July 8 with complete cancellation information, including fees and deposits. Please review this email for specifics regarding cancellation details and associated fees. Residents have also received subsequent communications regarding updates to the cancellation deadline.

Last updated:

Will I still have roommates in the residence halls?

Student Housing and Dining Services has modified housing density for residence halls to align with public health guidance, and we are planning to offer single-occupancy bedrooms for 2020-21. Residents will pay the double-occupancy rate. We are working with our campus partners to help aid qualified students in situations of financial distress. If this applies to you, please email the Student Housing and Dining Services office for assistance.

Last updated:

What is physical distancing going to look like within the residence halls?

Pending public health guidelines, common spaces such as living rooms will be open; however, physical distancing still needs to be at least 6 feet or greater at all times. Each resident will be assigned to a specific restroom. In addition, face coverings must be worn at all times whenever you are outside your bedroom.

Last updated:

What will physical distancing look like in the dining commons?

At this time, we anticipate most students will take their food to go; we’re currently looking at offering online orders with “curbside pickup” as an option to streamline to-go meals. We also hope to have limited indoor seating, with seats spaced 6 feet apart, and are looking into the feasibility of table reservations to streamline dine-in services. To-go service is available at all dining commons, while dine-in service will be available only to students living in that residence hall area (for instance, Segundo residents will dine in Segundo Dining Commons only). In addition, face coverings must be worn on campus, including inside the dining commons, with the exception of when eating at the table.

There will be no self-serve or buffet style in the dining commons and seating will be reduced. Residents can order lunch or dinner to-go and pick these up at a designated time using an app.

Last updated:

What happens if someone in my residence hall gets sick with COVID-19?

If a residence hall student tests positive for COVID-19 or is diagnosed by a physician, guidance will be given by the Yolo County Health Department and UC Davis Student Health and Counseling Services (SHCS). The student will be temporarily relocated to an assigned isolation space for a time period defined by public health authorities and CDC guidelines (typically 14 days).

Students who may have had contact with someone who tests positive for COVID-19 or who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 will be evaluated and given direction by SHCS. They will either be moved to a quarantine space or asked to monitor their health.

Isolated and quarantined students living on campus will be provided food and health care for the duration of their isolation or quarantine.

Last updated:

Will there be contactless ways to access spaces that require a student ID?

Spaces requiring AggieCards for access are contactless. For example, accessing the Dining Commons is done by contactless swiping through a card reader before walking into the Dining Commons; accessing residence halls themselves, as well as their computer centers, is done by swiping the AggieCard through a card reader to unlock the door. There are no interpersonal contacts required for access. Students should continue to wear their face coverings and allow appropriate physical distance between themselves and others at all times.

Last updated:

How will decisions be made about who gets to live in the residence hall if there are room caps?

Currently, Student Housing and Dining Services can house all students who have housing contracts.

We are currently developing protocols for establishing housing priority in the event public health agencies direct us to reduce housing density. We will share these protocols once they are finalized.

Last updated:

What happens if my child is quarantined because they have or were exposed to COVID-19? Can I come get them?

If a UC Davis student is quarantined or isolated, they must remain within their rooms for the duration of the quarantine or isolation based on state and county public health guidance. One of the purposes of the quarantine or isolation is to prevent any potential, further spread of COVID-19. This guidance may change based on guidance from county and state quarantine and isolation mandates.

Last updated:

Should I come live on campus or stay at home? When will I know if I have any in-person classes that would mean I should come and live in Davis?

In a recent letter to faculty, Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Mary Croughan and Academic Senate Chair Richard Tucker stated that we expect instruction and research operations to return to pre-pandemic, in-person delivery at the start of the next academic year in September 2021. While this is the current expectation, the pandemic can be unpredictable, and changes might have to be made as we get closer to the next academic year. 

With those considerations in mind, we know there are benefits for students who live near campus, such as more equitable access to campus facilities, resources and internet as well as opportunities for social interaction when public health guidance allows. In order to be ready for fall quarter, we recommend that students finalize their research and make their housing selection as soon as possible.

Last updated:

What is the guidance for students living in private, rental housing?

While the housing decision is a personal one for each student and family, you are also not alone in making this decision. Campus is here to support you in your search for housing information and evaluating your options. We recommend that students read their lease or housing agreement carefully and understand the lease terms, options for termination, subleasing or any other options that could add flexibility to the agreement. For example, some properties may offer a quarter-by-quarter leasing term, which may be a more desirable option in the case of an unexpected shift in public health guidance. In addition, UC Davis and the city of Davis continue to work together to provide support and resources on housing issues. 

We encourage students to contact any of the housing support resources listed below:

Last updated:

What do I do if I am experiencing a housing crisis or may lose housing?

If you are experiencing a housing crisis or may lose housing, please contact the Aggie Compass Basic Needs Center for support. They offer a variety of housing resources, including:

  • Emergency shelter and transitional housing 
  • Housing assistance grants
  • Rent Subsidy Program
  • College Focused Rapid Rehousing Program

Resources can be accessed by submitting a Basic Needs Assistance Form.

For more specific information about Student Housing and Dining Services, please visit

Last updated: